Friday, January 23, 2009

Why I Started This Blog

When I encounter parents teachers, and grandparents through my Usborne Books business I meet many nurturers who have spent a little time each day instilling a love of reading and learning in the kids in their lives.

What a great gift they are giving those children!! They understand what Abraham Lincoln meant when he said, "A capacity and taste for reading gives access to whatever has already been discovered by others." Or, as Dr. Seuss so eloquently put it, "The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."

However, I meet other people and I am often surprised by their misinformation and attitude towards books. For example, I can't tell you how many times I've been told (usually by a dad or a grandma, sometimes by a mom) "Oh, he is only six months old. He's too young for books." Guess what... he was ready to be introduced to books six months ago.

Thankfully, for me, I did have a mother who read to me and did instill in me a love for the written word. My love of books created an insatiable curiosity about the world around me, a source of comfort and diversion, and an opportunity to experience places and events I could never actually be.
So, I started this blog to share my thoughts and pass on information about reading, literacy, help for struggling readers, appropriate practices for gifted readers, reaching reluctant readers, and instilling in kids a love of reading and learning that will bless their lives... whether they are a newborn or a teenager. I'll take professional articles, studies, and reports and make it accessible to all parents.

If you have a topic you'd like me to research or any information you'd like to share, please let me know. Thank you for reading.

1 comment:

  1. GREAT idea for a blog!! Really awesome! I hope to see it grow and help many a family.

    ReplyDelete